Online Magazine

Sir George Grey’s Door, 1806

Posted by Nicholas Blake, on August 25th, 2012

Abstract

In 1806 George Grey was appointed Commissioner of Portsmouth Dockyard, the most important of the six naval dockyards.

The commissioner’s house, in which Grey lived with his wife and seven children, was designed by Samuel Wyatt and built between 1782 and 1787; the garden was the largest of any commissioner’s house in England. In this document Grey writes to the Admiralty asking to make a door in the garden wall to the street, enclosing a hand-drawn and coloured scale plan, which shows the sentinel’s box, chapel, observatory, academy, pay offices, and rope and hemp houses.

To read the full article Become A Member

Join The Navy Records Society today from only £20/year and gain access to an ever-expanding archive.

Become A Member